Are you someone who follows only the best and the brightest
do you have some software program running in the background that is following people on a whim?
My advice to you is that if you really want to follow quality people, perform this little test.
It is the TWEETDECK ACTIVITY TEST
On Tweetdeck – I use the Google Chrome Extension, add a column and select the ACTIVITY icon. The activity icon will show the activity going on behind the scenes of the people you follow.
I think you will be surprised at your findings:
Some of your followers, (who you consider quality people) are following people who have the following:
- No profiles pictures
- Have not posted a tweet
- Do not have a return url address
- Following multiple people in seconds, (usually a sign of some automated follower software) I know, I dabbled with this for awhile.
Now, check out others who are following one person at a time.
- These people have been on twitter for a period of time and have tweeted something recently.
- Have great follow/follower relationships
- Connect with great resources
- Are selective with who they connect with, (no newbies here)
Finally, if you are using one of those automated follower programs, your activity maybe painting a bad picture of you. I used to use a tool like this a couple of years ago. I thought Twitter was about building your numbers. However, what good are your numbers if there is no conversation going on or if you really have nothing in common with these people.
People with high follower counts maybe following every person under the sun.
Does this make them more real or less real? Just a thought.