I have seen 2012 be the year of difference in the way I use Twitter and I have been able to see massive results.
At the present time, a number of companies are tweaking their sites, and algorithms to see if they can make a difference with users.
Google is transforming Google Plus into this new monster but it is also making changes that many of us are going to have to deal with. Search on Google has gone local and social. Have you noticed that some of your information is on the first page of Google and some information has fallen off the radar. In the past, it was about key words, links and advertisements. These items are still true, but as a Marketing Director that serves clients nationally, I really want a broader message that people outside of my local area can also see. I was reminded of this when I was on vacation last week in South Carolina. When I tried searching for keywords associated with my company, I was nowhere to be found.
Meanwhile, Twitter is transforming the way we obtain information and its helping us connect with the people who want more of our content.
- 140 characters with the ability to direct people to your website or blog site or product or whatever.
- Instant communication and conversations – Also allows people to get in the conversation. (You have to be receptive to this one)
- Once your content is viral, it is spread like wildfire and others soon learn about your content. (Try this on Google) (I’m still trying on Google Plus)
- Now, I understand that Google has cut back on the way it brings in twitter conversations, but Bing is still bringing in your conversations.
- You can create a national message.
- In addition, you can search like a pro. ADVANCED TWITTER SEARCH – Bookmark this url and place it in your
Some other things to think about:
Now some people are trying to buy their way into Twitter by adding followers everyday. This is no different than when people were buying links for Google with respect to SEO. Sure there will be some successes here, but if your content is good enough and you are getting your message to the right people, why do you want to keep bringing in people who do not care. Focus on the people who are following you and continue to develop great content. People will respect you a lot more in the long run.
Be consistent – Make sure you touch base everyday. If you go on vacation this summer, its ok to take a break, but keep listening and talking to the people who are following you.
As far as numbers, your first goal is to get at least 1,000 followers. There are a number of ways to do this, but this is really key. Make sure you get a variety of users too. Perform some searches on different hashtag keywords and check out people who have some good strong follow, follower counts.
If you want the most out of twitter, you have to work at it everyday. I have been on since December 31, 2008 Thank you Howlonghaveyoubeentweeting.com
Also, I use Tweetstats to gauge my activity on Twitter. It’s the only think I can control and to get a quick look at who I have been in contact each month and what I have been talking about.
Get on Twitter and realize the power in tweeting today.