1) Place your Retweet Comment at the beginning of the Tweet you are retweeting. (Gets People’s Attention, especially if others have retweeted the same message.
2) Don’t just retweet a post without some sort of message. Sometimes its tough to place a comment, but retweeting for retweeting sake should not be your goal in the long run. (A lot of people do this, but you always want to stand out from what everyone else is doing)
3) Always leave the link and place and give lots of thought if you have to shorten the original tweet. Always make it a goal to make the message stand out versus eliminating some words and creating a confusing message.
4) Make sure to RT the original author. THIS SHOWS CLASS AND RESPECT! Retweeting other RT’ers is nice but retweeting the original author shows you care about who actually wrote the article.
5) If its just not possible to perform any of the steps stated above, send a reply and recopy/repaste the link. (THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE A CONNECTION WITH THE AUTHOR OR PERSON SUBMITTING THE LINK) To me, this is how tweets go massively viral. In addition, it shows that you are serious about your comments and you really value the information you just read and you want others to know. REPLIES/Mentions are always appreciated and in my experience lead to deeper connections.
Just some thoughts on Retweeting!
Retweet this post with your comments as to what you have seen. I know there are a lot of great tips out there for improving communication on Twitter.