Everyday, I find myself reading the same information over and over regarding different marketing techniques or social media tricks. Anymore, I just quickly scan the article to see if there is something completely unique. I believe the missing piece in most of the content I read is that there are NO PERSONAL EXAMPLES – aka STORIES.
All of us are hungry for a great story that does the following:
- We can totally relate to the information presented (We can picture the information presented)
- We don’t want the story to end (The information is short, simple and easy to remember)
- We want to share the information we learned with others (Good stories are usually shared)
Let me tell you a great story that happened this weekend.
This weekend, I went through my Linkedin contacts and decided to send a message to one of my contacts that I had not talked to in awhile. I simply asked this person how things were going in 2014 and gave this person an update on how things were also going for our business.
The response I received back from this person was very informative and I learned quite a bit about this person’s company and industry. I learned the following:
- How this person viewed the past few months in 2014.
- How this person viewed my particular company with respect to the industry.
- How valuable this person can be as a professional resource.
As a result of this simple communication, I really learned a valuable lesson. I need to take time and connect with other people directly and start sharing more. Sharing information with others leads to more sharing and learning.
So if you are looking for a way to use social media in a more useful manner, start connecting directly with people and tell a little bit about yourself and see what others think. The information you receive back will ultimately make you a better person.