Definition of performance – “the action or process of carrying out or accomplishing an action, task, or function”
Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Too many opportunities are started and never completed. Right now, many people I talk to cannot even talk about projects that were started and completed in 2014. It really comes down to documenting the process and managing the results along the way. Some projects may never be completed because of lack of resources or changes in direction. In these cases, old projects should be closed and new projects opened.
Over the past few weeks, I have talked about setting a new tone. That new tone for me started externally by listening to clients and it is quickly turning internally to update current processes and continue to work to be in a position to meet client needs.
Those needs include the following:
- going after new client markets
- developing innovative ways to improve current client relations
- investing in employees and technology for continued innovation
- continue to identify better communication techniques
- continue to listen more and more both internally and externally
- learn something new everyday
Focusing on performance helps organize ideas and processes into a manageable process that focuses on taking action and accomplishing tasks.
Start by doing the following:
- Keep a Daily To-Do list for Yourself – It will help you see where you are spending your time and if you are accomplishing basic tasks
- Start a Project List – Get all of your company projects on paper. This action will help you see which projects to prioritize, stop roadblocks form occurring, help you maintain proper time frames to make sure projects get completed. (You will learn a lot about your company and see areas for improvement)
- Communicate accomplishments with everyone at your company. Make sure people buy-in to where the company is headed. It is always good to keep people informed of progress.
This process is the result of strong leadership in an organization. Companies need leaders and as I review and share these topics with you, I am seeing a whole new culture of leadership. If you are a leader, start setting a tone in your own company and start listening more and focus on achieving results. More information to come on this topic over the next several weeks.