In the last few days, I have heard this term a lot with respect to analytics. How do you measure influence? You can use your own model or a tool like Klout to see how it views your influence on social media sites.
I think the first step in this process is to understand the definition.
Influence – the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others: He used family influence to get the contract. Source Dictionary.com
“Produce effects on actions“ – I think this is the key part of the definition. Some type of action or opinion must be formed by your readers and listeners to have any capacity of influence.
- Communicate with authority by showing specific examples
- Join Discussions, and have an opinion that may be slightly different than the writer
- Don’t just retweet someone’s post – There is no influence gained here. You will be seen as a follower
- Listen and Learn – You cannot be an authority or have high influence of every subject. Learn more about the subjecs that you may not know a lot about.
- Be innovative – Try not to rehash old news that everyone knows the answers too.
- If you are wrong, admit your mistake and clarify your new position.
- Work with a mentor to see how you can build your influence in your industry and online.