Some recent trends:
- Taco Bell is testing delivery in 2015. (Fast Food isn’t fast enough?) Article
- Sprint is going to deliver phone upgrades to client’s house to get into their hands faster. (Are people not able to get their upgrades fast enough?) Article
- Amazon is offering same-day delivery of items in some areas. (People don’t have to wait 24 hours) Article
These companies are trying to change and hopefully they have systems in place to keep these processes sustainable going forward.
What does this mean for your company and mine?
Everyday, I look at ways to increase efficiency. Some laboratory analysis just take more time than others, but how can logistics be improved and quality stepped up. It really comes back to the client in all of these examples. They are the ones who matter. How can we improve turnaround in all areas of our company?
Here are some of the areas I am looking at. How can our clients perform the following tasks in 30 minutes:
- Open a New Account
- Submit Analysis Paperwork
- Receive Results Quicker
- Analyze Historical Results to Help with Decision-Making
- Receive answers to their questions more quickly.
For Internal Clients:
- Know what samples are expected to arrive
- Be able to log samples quickly
- Perform analysis with on demand quality systems supporting them
- Get results entered and approved faster
- Insure results are received by the client.
- Insure payment for services is received in a timely manner.
The biggest takeaway here is that companies really need to find ways to improve processes in a way that they can serve clients’ needs and become sustainable over time. It is a huge undertaking for companies, but it must happen if companies are going to survive going forward. I guarantee you, your competition is looking at these topics and if they get there before you do, you will know about it.
Serving clients’ needs better and faster is the goal.
Imagine going to the airport and you were given a card, similar to a credit card that allowed you to reserve a seat on a plane in a matter of seconds, (similar to using your debit card at an ATM). Imagine, swiping that card at the airport and being able to bypass check-in lines. If you want to check-in your luggage, you simply hand it to the attendant when you board the plane.
Think of the time savings
Think about how easy it would be for the airline workers
Think about how fun it would be to fly again. (Sorry, cannot change TSA Process)
We are not that far away!
Someone will figure out how to do this and they will be the popular airlines of the next decade
The only way we can become faster in a digital age, is to start thinking more and more like our clients and look for ways to simplify processes. Simple processes are easy to market because people can actually picture the process and see there way from start to finish. We are in the digital age and we need to start looking at ways to make the data work for us and not the other way around.
Buying New Technology – Some potential for better service
Listening to Client Needs – Ok; A little better
Overhauling Processes – Getting Simpler! Think Differently!
Picture Source: Pixabay