Are you frustrated with your Google Search Rankings? Are you resisting the changes which Google is proposing? Maybe it’s time to take a close look at your own sites and see why your current actions may be confusing to Google. (Just a Thought)
If you take a hard look at your sites, you will be faced with the facts that Google is pushing you to change the way your sites are viewed on Google and it may be time for some chagnes. These changes are difficult and time-consuming, but I hope others can benefit from the information I am shairng in this post.
Here are some of the changes I have made in 2014.
- Deleted a number of complimentary websites that link to our company site.
- From 2007 – 2012, it was cool to have domain names that were associated with keyword search terms and Google used to recognize these sites.
- Today, these sites were getting few hits if any and most had dropped down from their previous first page positions.
- Google wants your company site and trusted content authors. Make sure your content is recognized on main sites and leave the rest behind unless most of your traffic comes from Bing or Yahoo.
- Deleted curreent Google+ Company Page and installed new Google+ Company Page
- This was a tough change for me. I lost a number of subscribers. I introduced a company page when they were first available, the problem in the last few months is that Google wanted to integrate Google Places, Google+ Company Page and YouTube together. I initially fought this move, but decided it would be in my best interest to follow Google and make sure I did not have duplicate content.
- Google wants companies to be a part of Google My Business
- Deleted Company YouTube Account
- Another tough change. Google wants to integrate YouTube with Google+.
- Build your YouTube Channel through your Google+ Company Page so the two are integrated.
- Google Authorship – Very important part of this whole process
- Make sure your sites are associated with a specific person who is in charge of content for the site.
- If you are a content marketer, consider writing for your company and for yourself. (Google will recognize you)
- Google+ is gaining traction. Do you have the new mobile app, “My Business” – rich with analytics – ties Google Analytics and Google+ together.
- Google Webmaster Tools - Invest some time and resolve issues with your site.
- I wasn’t aware of how important this step was. Clean up your site and make sure your sites are mobile friendly. (Can’t ignore this any longer.
These changes are tought ones to make, but in the end, what is your goal. If your goal is to be in organic search, you need to make these changes. Google has made a number of things confusing by issuing new applications over the past few years, but now, Google is reeling back and integrating its applications together. I am not agreeing with all of these changes, but ultimately I want our company to be easily found on Google and by making this critical decision to follow the Google Roadmap, I believe I will be able to have our site readily indexed and in the end, it will be a win-win for our company.
I welcome your comments and let me know of other steps you have taken with respect to this topic