It is the hashtag!
Places like the University of Michigan have captured and branded the phrase #GOBLUE on their football field.
Think about the potential here….
Conferences are already using it.
By now you have gone to a conference and if you want to be a part of the conversation at the conference, you post your information with the appropriate hashtag conference name.
Industries are already there.
Do you want to talk to people of a particular industry about issues facing people in agriculture. Use the #agriculture hashtag.
#blogchat, #agchat, and others use hashtags to help tie people together and control the conversation to a select group of people.
- People can join a conversation at any time with the addition of the #hashtag.
- No Reader is needed for the #hashtag and people can quickly post information from their mobile sites.
- Communication can be directed to a particular group by using a specific #hashtag.
- The #hashtag can be placed in print on physical buildings and brochures
- The #hashtag facilitates communication via twitter.
I think we will see more of a move to #hashtags because of their convenience and power. QR Codes are good technology too, but more people need to accept them and use them on a regular basis.
If you take one thing away from this article, please act on this. Find a way to incorporate #hashtags into your fliers or building so that you can create deeper relationships between your digital and social marketing channels.