Yes, last year was a good year. This year, the year started with some excitement, but if you are like me, people and companies are holding onto their money just a little longer than normal. In addition, I am seeing more news regarding company acquisitions and tightening of budgets. Companies are looking for an edge anywhere they can get it.
This is where you and I come in. As marketers, we cannot afford to get caught up in this type of cautious thinking. Yes, we have to be aware of our surroundings, but our goal is to continue to 1) nurture relationships and 2) look for new client opportunities.
My advice to you is kick it up a notch. Marketing does not stop. It is up to all of us to make sure we are doing the following:
- Improving processes to better serve clients
- Improving communication with clients and vendors
- Taking care of our employees and staff
- Making sure we are working on the right processes and constantly evaluating and re-prioritizing needs.
- Be aware of news and trends affecting our industry and be ready when new opportunities arise.
This isn’t the time to get cautious like other departments. I have learned over the years, marketing cannot stop. In tough times, those companies that are able to make it through are the ones who persevere and always look for opportunities both internally and externally.
Keep fighting and take it up a notch in 2013!
Image courtesy of Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net