In 2014, I am noticing fewer emails. This is clearly a welcoming trend. Some of you may be confused by this comment, and others may still think getting 200, 500 and more a day is being more productive. I would say just the opposite.
Here are some reasons for fewer emails:
- Spam filters are much better than they used to be. Most of these type of emails go directly to the junk folder and it helps keep things much cleaner.
- Fewer Website Updates – I have made a conscious effort to UNSUBSCRIBE from lists that I do not read on a regular basis. This one action has helped me permanently eliminate a lot of email communications.
- People are not reading all of their emails received.
- Turning off social media email notifications. I simply do not need to know when someone has mentioned my twitter handle or reduced how often I need to be notified of Linkedin Group Activity. In addition, I can move these notrifications to text messages.
- More people are texting or calling other people and do not have the time to write long emails.
Here are the reasons why fewer emails is a good thing:
I post my personal email on my social media profile and website. From here, I know when people send emails, they are looking for information related to business. Sure I get some salespeople, but it is much more manageable and respectful
- My voice message tells people to leave an email as an option.
- People are looking to connect with people on other sites like Linkedin and Twitter.
- It helps make you more productive, by focusing your attention on other work activities.
- Many people are looking at email as the most important way to
- Email is clean and people like to receive email messages on their mobile devices.
What is the takeaway here?
People are using numerous ways to communicate. Email for me, is really important, especially when I need to communicate some detailed information. I want to drive people here, because it gives me the opportunity for better communication than most technologies.
In addition to email, I need to spend more time trying to find ways to better communicate on social media sites like Linkedin and Twitter. People connect with people and with mobile technology continuing to increase, I need to look at which channels are most effective with my audience.
Fewer emails is a good thing. It helps improve productivity and allows people to manage their times in other ways. People’s time is limited. Find the right approach to connect with them. Don’t treat all clients the same way.